Some Great Reward

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Lois Lowry and Netflix

I just finished reading Lois Lowry's The Giver and found it very moving and unsettling. I have heard it referred to as a junior version of The Handmaid's Tale which I felt was spot-on. However, I have heard from reviews and word of mouth the follow up novels in the trilogy are a bit disappointing so I'm not sure if I will read them. Any thoughts?

As far as movies I watched two good ones lately, V for Vendetta and Inside Man. V for Vendetta made me think of Phantom of the Opera meets 1984. Great visuals, exciting plot, and it makes you think. Inside Man has a dream cast (Clive Owen, Denzel Washington and Jodie Foster) and a plot that will keep you guessing until the end with some trademark Spike Lee moments as well. It was even more of a treat because for awhile there I felt like I had been watching nothing but so so or dud movies. I have a Netflix account (another new thing I love!) and I currently have 50 movies in my que(!), but I'm always looking for more suggestions so send them my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home